More than 90 percent of recruiters use social media to find candidates for open job listings. Consider these tips as you use social media to find your next great hire.
1. Optimize your social media presence. Before you start posting job openings on your social media, it’s important to boost your following, and the potential hires who will see your listings, by being consistent with posting new content.
2. Promote your listings. Post job listings on your social media pages to help spread information through your network. Software such as Jobvite makes it easy to post job listings across multiple platforms at once.
3. Use multiple social networks. You’ll have more success if you utilize multiple social media platforms to spread the word about your job openings. The top three social networks to start using today to recruit new hires are LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
4. Involve employees. Referrals from current team members that come from use of their social pages can bring in qualified applicants who match your company culture. Consider offering an incentive to employees who refer the most candidates on social media.
5. Take advantage of all LinkedIn functions. Build your connections with current and former employees, join industry-specific groups and write posts demonstrating thought leadership. This will attract candidates to follow you and see your future listings.
6. Showcase your culture. Post content on your social media about your company perks, office space and events you host to display what it is like to work at your company. This will give candidates an inside look at your workplace to see if it’s a good fit for them.
7. Opt for quality. As you widen your network on social media, protect your company image from being seen as spam. Grow organically, connecting with professionals who are reputable and influencers. Avoid posting your listings so often it appears as spam to your followers.
8. Use search engine optimization. Thirty percent of all Google searches, around 300 million per month, are job-hunting related. Utilize SEO techniques to ensure your job postings are ranking high in candidates’ Google searches.
9. Cut through the noise. Use unique hashtags relevant to your industry to be seen. For example, if you’re a local store, the tag #retailjobs combined with #azjobs will help you reach the audiences you’re looking for.
10. Screen applicants. Social media goes both ways. As potential job applicants engage with your company’s posts, remember you can review theirs as well to ensure they will be a good fit for your company. Check with your legal counsel about what is permissible.
Lisa Lovallo is the Southern Arizona market vice president for Cox Communications.