Leadership is not about being the best, but about making everyone else better. At Cox Communications, we host regular trainings providing our leaders with ongoing leadership education to assure they are the best leaders possible. Follow these strategies to become an inspiring, well-respected leader at your company.
1. Learn your leadership style. Take an online leadership-style quiz to determine what type of leader you are and how you react in certain situations. Whether you’re a laissez-faire leader or an authoritarian, it helps to know what at areas you excel, and where you need work.
2. Be inspirational. Great leaders have a true passion for the company and the projects on which they work. Your team members will see the enthusiasm you have for your work and emulate it.
3. Communicate effectively. When you delegate tasks, be sure your employee knows exactly what your expectations are for the assignment, and welcome any questions along the way.
4. Encourage feedback. Schedule one-on-one time with employees to discuss any concerns, questions and ideas they may have about projects, the work environment or their future at the company. At Cox, we establish development plans for each employee and leaders check in regularly to discuss progress and any needed support.
5. Stay positive. Try to keep a positive attitude at the workplace, even when business is not necessarily booming. Being optimistic in the face of challenges will inspire your team to do the same.
6. Hire smart. As a leader, it’s your job to ensure you fill your team with employees who work well together and support the goals of the company.
7. Know your team. Get to know your team on a personal level and learn their work styles. Some employees need supervision in order to thrive in a work environment, while some appreciate space to handle things on their own.
8. Have their back. It’s important for your employees to feel safe and trusted. Conflicts between customers and your employees may arise, and you’ll need to be able to handle the situation appropriately while having your employee’s back.
9. Give recognition. A thoughtful note or recognition in a meeting is a great way to show your team members that they’re appreciated and motivate them to keep up the good work.
10. Try new things. Be on the lookout for new ways to inspire and motivate your team. At Cox, our leaders participate in volunteer work alongside employees to strengthen relationships while giving back to the community.
Lisa Lovallo is the Southern Arizona market vice president for Cox Communications, leading a team of 250+ Southern Arizona Cox employees. Prior to joining the Cox Southern Arizona team, Lisa ran a family business based in Tucson and is a graduate of the University of Arizona. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.