Before about 760 attendees, the Tucson Metro Chamber handed out the 15th annual Copper Cactus Awards to 16 small businesses Tuesday night at the Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa. Additionally, Bob Breault, chairman of Breault Research Organization, was named the small business leader of the year.
Bobby Rich, morning radio personality on Mix-FM KMXZ 94.9-FM, and Sean Mooney, weekend news anchor on KVOA 4, were the emcees of this event, which the chamber took over from Wells Fargo, which founded the awards recognition program in 1997.
Awards were handed out in four categories: Best place to work, business growth, community service and new this year, innovation through technology. Three awards were handed out in each category, one to a business with 30 or fewer employees, another to businesses with 31 to 75 and a third to small business for 76 to 250 employees.
The awards and winners were:
Best place to work
• 1-30 employees: Goodmans Interior Structures, 3925 N. Business Center Drive, Marana
• 31-75 employees: Rosemont Copper, 2450 W. Ruthrauff Road, Suite 180
• 76-250 employees: O’Rielly Chevrolet, 6100 E. Broadway
• 1-30 employees: TCI Wealth Advisors, 4011 E. Sunrise Drive
• 31-75 employees: Synergy HomeCare, 1926 E. Fort Lowell Road, Suite 103
• 76-250 employees: Tattoo Manufacturing, 3741 E. Technical Drive
• 1-30 employees: Jonathan’s Cork, 6320 E. Tanque Verde Road
• 31-75 employees: Picor Commercial Real Estate Services, 1100 N. Wilmot Road, Suite 200
• 76-250 employees: Golden Eagle Distributors, 705 E. Ajo Way
Innovation through technology
• 1-30 employees: Darling Environmental & Surveying, 9040 S. Rita Road, Suite 2350
• 31-75 employees: SynCardia Systems, 1992 E. Silverlake Road
• 76-250 employees: Simpleview, 7458 N. La Cholla Blvd.
Winners were selected from more than 400 nominations. In addition to the chamber and Wells Fargo, supporing sponsors were Casino Del Sol Resort and Conference Center and Intuit.