The City of Tucson recently designated two buildings as Tucson Historic Landmarks earlier this month, affording both sites increased protection in the future against redevelopment.
The mid-century modern Hirsh’s Shoes Building, built in 1954, and the Spanish Colonial Revival Williamson House were designated City of Tucson Historic Landmarks by unanimous vote of the Mayor and Council on Oct. 9. The designation of is the result of applications submitted by the Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation.
According to a press release issued by the City of Tucson, David Hirsh emigrated from Eastern Europe to Pennsylvania with his parents as a child, where they owned a successful boot shop. David’s wife, Rose, suffered with arthritis, and the family to relocated to Tucson in 1944. In 1954 architect Bernard Friedman was commissioned by Rose to design a modern building for her new shoe store near Broadway Village along the Sunshine Mile.
The Stanley Williamson House, designed and built in the Spanish Colonial Revival style, is located in Tucson’s San Clemente Subdivision. The residence was commissioned in 1930 by real estate and San Clemente developer Stanley Williamson as both his own home and “as the prototypical property to set the architectural tone and character of the new development,” according to the release. Williamson hired Los Angeles-based Architect A. J. Weid to design this and other early speculative homes in the San Clemente colony.
“The designation of these two buildings is an important step in recognizing and protecting Tucson’s eclectic and distinctive identity.” said Demion Clinco, executive director of the Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation who prepared the historic landmark and rezoning applications. “Both buildings represent distinctive periods of Tucson’s history and are outstanding and important examples of our community’s architectural identity.”