Padres plan at least one more season in Tucson - Inside Tucson Business: News

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Padres plan at least one more season in Tucson

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 4:18 pm

The Tucson Padres have announced plans to stay in Tucson for at least one more season and possibly two.

“At this point, we’re needed for the 2013 season,” Team General Manager Mike Feder said at news conference Monday (July 2).

The team called the news conference amid early speculation that a possible move to El Paso, Texas was afoot after last week the city council there approved a plan to spend as much as $50 million on a new Triple-A baseball stadium.

That plan is contingent upon convincing a team to relocate to the West Texas city.

A group of El Paso business interests and moneyed investors have begun searching for a possible team, according to reports published in area publications.

Any courtship would likely take several months, however.

In the meantime here, Feder said the team is negotiating with the Pima County officials about leasing Kino Stadium for one and possibly two more seasons.

“It’s always been our goal,” Feder said, “to show the Pacific Coast League that we are a viable market.”